How to resolve error “IVPN.app is damaged and cannot be opened.”
This error is caused by the macOS extended file attributes which result in app signature verification failure. We are not sure what the root cause of this issue is and it seems to affect only a very small percentage of users. The solution, however, is very simple and does not introduce any security risks. You simply have to remove the extended file attributes on the IVPN.app package.
Open Terminal.app by navigating to the utilities folder within the applications folder.
Type the command below (where ~/Downloads/IVPN.app is the path to the IVPN.app file you extracted)
xattr -rc ~/Downloads/IVPN.app
- macOS - Failed to regenerate WireGuard keys. Private key generation error: 133
- macOS - "Launch at login" is not available
- Tunnelblick - "the internet does not appear to be reachable" error
- macOS - What credentials are required for the Helper Agent portion of the IVPN App install?
- Tunnelblick - Why is the DNS server incorrect?
Still have questions?
Get in touch and we'll get back to you in a few hours.Contact support
Interested in privacy?
Read our latest privacy news and keep up-to-date on IVPN services.Visit IVPN Blog