Most connection failures are caused by something blocking the connection to our servers. Before you begin troubleshooting a blocked connection please check the following:
- Verify that your internet connection is working whilst disconnected from the VPN. Try loading a website or pinging a web address such as
188.8.131.52. See how to run the ping command. If you are using the IVPN client, ensure that the IVPN firewall is not activated. If your connection is still not working then you will need to contact your ISP to resolve the issue.
- Verify that the server you are connecting to is online and available on the server status page.
- Double check that you are using the correct username and password. Your username starts with 'ivpn' and your password is the one you entered when signing up. For more info see My VPN password doesn't work (authentication failure). What can I do?
Once you have verified all of the above proceed to troubleshoot the connection as follows:
- Try changing the connection to another port and/or protocol, you made need to cycle a few to find one that works best for you. See how to change ports/protocols.
- Temporarily disable any firewalls or anti-virus software on your computer and retry the connection.
- Try another internet connection, some types of connections are particularly problematic such as public hotspots, cellular hotspots and hotel internet connections.
- Try another device as there may be an issue with your local device. Our service works with many different devices, see our setup guides.