Basic Asuswrt-Merlin Setup.
The list of supported models can be viewed here
- Download and extract the IVPN .ovpn config files to your PC.
- Launch the web browser and enter the IP address of your router, which is usually 192.168.1.1.
- Once logged in, navigate to VPN – OpenVPN Clients tab & click on the Browse button.
- Look for the extracted earlier configuration files, select the one with the preferred server location and click on the Upload button.
- Enter your IVPN account ID that begins with letters 'ivpn' and any password in the Username & Password fields accordingly.
- Set the Accept DNS Configuration to Strict. In the Custom Configuration fill in the following:
tls-client tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA key-direction 1 resolv-retry infinite keepalive 10 60 nobind persist-key persist-tun persist-remote-ip verb 3
- Click on Apply on the bottom of the page and your router should now be connected to IVPN. To confirm the latter, check the Online status tool on our website or visit the dnsleaktest.com.
Only your account ID is used for the authentication. The password field can be empty or set to anything, like "ivpn", if your client requires a non-blank password.
- On your router, navigate to WAN - Internet Connection
- Under WAN DNS Setting set Connect to DNS Server automatically to No
- Specify the following IVPN DNS IP addresses in the DNS Server1 & DNS Server2 fields accordingly: 10.0.254.1 & 18.104.22.168
- Hit Apply to save the changes.
Configuring a Kill-Switch
To ensure no traffic leaks and your real IP address is revealed should the VPN tunnel go down unexpectedly:
- Navigate to VPN -> OpenVPN Client
- Under Advanced Settings select Redirect Internet Traffic: Policy Rules
- Have the Block routed clients if tunnel goes down option Enabled
- In the Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel add your local network:
- Description - give it any name
- Source IP - e.g. 192.168.1.0/24 (substitute with your real local network's IP address)
- Destination IP - blank
- Iface - VPN
Was this answer helpful?